Sunday, April 27, 2008

Do you know Mary? Why not?

I work at Sweet Eugene's and when I close on Saturdays I do the dishes from midnight 'till 3:00 AM. It's pretty great. Lots of time to think.

While I do the dishes, I get to talk to my friend Mary, one of the bakers for Daylight Donuts. She is 69 years old and works 2 jobs. She goes to work at 7:30 as a cook at one of the schools in Bryan and then she sleeps from 6:00 PM 'till midnight, then she comes to work at Sweet Eugene's to make those donuts that you all know and love. She works so hard just to make a living.

She was a city girl but married a country man. She has 3 grown children and tons of grandchildren. She raised chickens and cows...including a calf named T-Bone Tom...so tasty! She loves dancing and cooking and her family. She is so in love with her husband. It's wonderful to see. Mary has a passion for quilting but since times got hard she hasn't had time...as a result, she's had a quilt she's wanted to finish since the 90's...those are just little facets of who she is.

As I got to know Mary and we became good friends. We laughed a lot, talked about life, I moved heavy things for her, ya know...the usual! I learned so much from her. She became one of the reasons that work was fun.

After a few weeks of talking to Mary she said something that made me raise an eyebrow. She said that I was the only one who talked to her at work. Why? That makes absolutely no sense at all. Don't people realize that you can learn so much by just being friends with people?

Ladies and gentlemen, I urge to to introduce yourself to the people you overlook everyday. You have no idea how much a little thing like that can change you life. I challenge you to meet someone new every day. Learn and remember their name and one thing about them and ask them next time you see them. After 3 times you'll have a friend.

People aren't used to other people caring. Blow their minds. Say hello. I dare you!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Aw meg,
Thanks for this!
You are so thoughtful!

Rebecca said...

aw, i miss Tyler. this is Tortoise btw

Cathy Primer Krafve said...

Megan,I am inspired by your beautiful heart. C Krafve